Описание: My good friend Sycra shows you how he paints Light Yagami from the anime, Death Note. He digitally paints over my Light Yagami sketch.
-Wacom Intuos4 9X12 tablet
1) Sycra took my drawing & made a duplicate
2) Opened up Hue/Saturation
3) Turned down the lightness and colorized the layer to a sienna-ish tone. This gives the same effect as a 'underpainting' in traditional terms. Basically it helps with colour harmony, gets rid of the pure white of the canvas, and it gives a nice neutral tone to start with.
4) Sycra blocked in the light side of the skin with a base value. It's not really light, because he wanted to be able to add lighter lights on top of it, but it's lighter than what's in the shadow side
5) He blocked in the hair with a brownish colour. He used a Wacom Intuos Tablet with Opacity set to Pen Pressure so he could lightly block in the color and it would still be somewhat transparent. This way we keep the hair lines underneath, and also can blend with the underpainting colour.
6) He added some reflective light to the side of the face and hair... It's a kind of bluish gray. Because he used a lot of warm tones, he didn't need to go very blue for it to look blue, the color is actually more of a gray.
7) From there on it's either blocking in base tones, adding shadows or adding highlights. He tries to keep the image split in a way with the background so one side is more dark (Light Yagami's darker side) and one side is brighter, keeping everything loose.
Be sure to check out Sycra's channel:
Join me on Facebook:
Follow me on Twitter:
Many thanks to Tantu for supplying the music: